- You are a person with special medical needs
- Your care exceeds the basic first aid provided at general population shelters
- Your impairments or disabilities are medically stable and do not exceed the capacity, staffing and equipment of the special needs shelter to minimize deterioration of your pre-event level of health
- with friends or family
- in a safe structure
- outside of the evacuation area
The Special Needs program may be used for any emergency requiring evacuation (flooding, hurricanes, hazardous material spills or gas leaks). Resources are limited and those persons registered will have priority when an emergency arises. Do not wait until an evacuation order is given to request being added to the Registry.
Things to Note!
- Special Needs Shelters are for clients and their designated care giver only. Accommodations for the rest of your household will likely need to be in a general population shelter.
- Application DOES NOT automatically guarantee assignment. Medical staff at the shelter will make the final decision based on current needs.
- Clients must provide their own medication, medical equipment and at least 24 hours of oxygen. Current medical information will be required.
- Pets are not allowed in a special needs shelter. If you are unable to make private arrangements for your pets, let us know. Transportation will be provided to take them to a pet shelter. Please have your animal's medical records available.
For registry questions, please contact the Florida Special Needs Registry Help desk.
Please fill in the requested information as best you can. Should you need technical assistance, please use the contact information above to contact the Florida Special Needs Registry Helpdesk. Should you have any questions or need assistance filling out the form please call 407-343-2133.